There’s a lot to consider when looking at the best horizontal PC case. From airflow to noise levels, you want a horizontal PC case that keeps your hardware cool and provides good system performance. Then, of course, there is the design element. They come in all shapes and sizes and there are plenty of variable features. For instance, the amount of fans included, the material, and the design.
When it comes to size, there is also a wide selection range. You could go for a dominating super tower or a smaller, sleeker case. The benefits of getting this choice right are you’ll have a reliable case through multiple builds, protecting the components inside, keeping them ventilated and cool, and saving you cash in the long run. Where to start, though, with the best horizontal PC case? Here are six of the best.
1: Cooler Master MasterBox
- Minimized dimensions for standard ATX: The Master Box Q500L supports standard ATX motherboards and plus, with a body depth and Height of only 386...
- Fully perforated chassis: The top, front, rear, and bottom panels are fully perforated to offer airflow for various fan configurations
- Movable I/O panel: Orientation for the chassis is versatile, with the option to move the I/O panel to 6 different locations
The MasterBox Q500L Micro-ATX Tower is the perfect horizontal ATX case. It supports a standard ATX motherboard and PSU, comes in a really compact layout, and the mounting bracket allows for the repositioning of the PSU depending on the form factor. The PSU can be mounted in the normal position of the bottom, or at the rear to allow for increased front panel ventilation and configuration options.
- The MasterBox Q500L supports standard ATX motherboards. Body depth and height is 386 x 381 millimeter.
- All panels – top, front, rear, and bottom – are fully perforated to improve airflow for different fan configurations.
- Versatile chassis but with the option to move the I/O panel to 6 different locations.
- The PSU is on the front of the chassis to better optimize internal space. The bracket can be moved to offer varied positions depending on preference.
2: Thermaltake Core P3 ATX
- Supports Mini ITX, Micro ATX, ATX Motherboard
- Open Frame Panoramic Viewing: 5 millimeter Thick Tempered Glass at Front
- 3 Way Placement Layout: Wall mount, Vertical, and Horizontal placement
This P3 Tempered Glass ATX chassis by Thermaltake comes with a 5mm thick tempered glass front panel. It’s very durable, looks nice and gives you a clear view of the insides. Core P3 TG ensures it supports the latest PC hardware, alongside AIO and DIY liquid cooling solutions. It’s designed to support dual GPU and PSU layout options, and comes with three stand placement options – wall mount, horizontal and vertical. That provides the flexibility to change things around depending on your requirements. It is fit for the most advanced PC customizations and modifications.
- Case supports Mini ITX, Micro ATX, and ATX Motherboard.
- 5mm thick Tempered Glass at the front enables clear viewing.
- Three placement options: Wall-mount, vertical, and horizontal placements.
- Vertical GPU Mounting: One PCI E Riser Cable included.
- Vertical PSU Mounting: Vertical PSU layout when ITX Motherboard is applied.
- Supports liquid cooling and compatible with extreme liquid cooling configurations.
- Comes with a 3 year warranty.
3: SilverStone Technology
- Positive air pressure design for excellent cooling/quietness and dust-prevention
- Support expansion cards up to 12.2". Support ATX motherboards
- Quick access filters included
SilverStone, a leader in HTPC design, created the Technology Home Theater computer case to fit full size components, such as ATX power supply, ATX Motherboard, 5.25″ Drive, 3.5″, and 2.5″ Drives. The Grandia GD09 and GD10 are extremely space-efficient and compatible, yet compact enough to fit inside most stands or home theater cabinets. It’s sleek and simple front panel is complimented by large air vents to help cool the insides.
- Positive air pressure design for cooling, with quiet performance and dust-prevention.
- Supports expansion cards up to 12.2″.
- Supports ATX motherboards.
- Quick access filters included.
- 358mm depth fits comfortably inside a home theater cabinet.
- Drive cages with multi-purpose mounts eliminate the need for adapters.
- Independent graphics card vent.
4: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
- A case quickly and easily transforms into a test bench ideal for enthusiasts and over clockers
- Two durable trifle fans included in the front (also supports a 240 millimeter radiator) for powerful airflow
- Supports a tower CPU coolers up to 180 millimeter tall and high end VGA up to 334 millimeter long
The Cooler Master HAF XB EVO takes air flow to another level with its extreme cooling performance. It features a removable horizontal motherboard tray and large mesh top and front panels, alongside two 120mm XtraFlo front fans, to create a powerful front to back airflow. The airflow is complimented by plenty of space for high performance tower heatsinks, thick liquid cooling radiators and up to 3 of the high-end graphics cards. Additionally, the horizontal case supports up to 4 HDD or SSDs, plus dual USB 3.0 super speed ports and X-dock slots in the front for fast plug-n-play.
- Two trifle fans included in the front (also supports a 240mm radiator) for powerful airflow performance.
- Supports tower CPU coolers up to 180mm tall and high end VGA up to 334mm long.
- Supports up to 4 HDDs or SSDs by removable HDD cages, as well as 3 graphics cards.
- Motherboard tray can be removed to install, remove or swap components.
- Dual USB 3.0 super-speed ports and X-dock slots in the front for fast plug n play I/O.
- Rigid carry handles on the side panels.
5: Thermaltake Core G3 Black
- Stay slim: A perfect compact micro slim chassis design fit at your desk or living room
- Dual placements layout: Designed for horizontal or Vertical layouts, the Core G3 takes both angles for even more
- Lan party ready: GPU padded braces and travel foams to secure your hardware while traveling
This sleek and well ventilated PC case is specifically designed for 4k virtual reality (VR) gaming. The Thermaltake Core G3 features a slim ATX chassis, with great cooling performance and compatibility, with two large 120mm fans and removable filters. The case supports up to ATX MB.
- Slim design delivers a compact micro slim chassis to fit at your desk or living room.
- Dual placements layout for both horizontal or vertical preference.
- GPU padded braces and travel foams to secure your hardware for travelling.
- Custom GPU mount, turning the GPU face front for a different look.
- Fully modular configurations and flexibility.
- 2 Drive bays, 2. 5″/3. 5” x 2 with HDD cage.
- Two 120mm front fans pre installed for optimized ventilation.
6: Thermaltake Core V21
- Supports M ATX and Mini ITX Form Factor Motherboards. Motherboards 6.7” x 6.7” (Mini ITX) , 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX)
- Designed for use in either a vertical or horizontal orientation on the motherboard
- Chamber Concept Design with optimized Cable management space for Small Form Factor Builds
The next Thermaltake Core horizontal PC case is the Core V21 Micro ATX Cube. It’s a different shape to the longer and slimmer options, with multiple options for both air and liquid cooling. The case comes with a tool-free drive bay design, which is optimized for impressive air flow and modular chassis options to configure your build and create dual systems. Designed to be used either vertically or horizontally and includes a 200mm fan on the front panel.
- Supports M ATX and Mini ITX form factor motherboards. Motherboards 6.7” x 6.7” (Mini ITX) , 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX).
- Designed to be used in either a vertical or horizontal orientation on the motherboard.
- Chamber Concept Design with optimized cable management space.
- Stackable and flexible thermal solution with large ventilation fan.
- 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone, 1x Mic Front Ports, Internal Bay: 3x 3.5 inches or 2.5 inches.
- Includes 1x 200mm front fan pre installed, with optional cooling available.
- 3 year warranty.
Combining power and performance
These are six of the best when it comes to a horizontal computer case. They combine power, performance and ventilation. The best cases can be the perfect addition to your advanced PC customizations, as well as provide the finishing touches to your custom build machine. There’s a really wide variety to choose from, particularly when it comes to shape and size, from imposing and flashy to slim and minimal.
You’ll need to think about your internal components. How big is the motherboard you want to use? What storage do you want to include? What graphics card do you have in mind? How hot will your PC run and what are you going to use it for? These features will determine what size case you need and how much ventilation is required. Generally speaking, full size PC cases support the large E-ATX boards and take up a lot of space. The mini, slim cases accommodate the Mini-ITX boards and restrict certain larger components like GPUs. More common are the mid-tower cases which support all ATX and some E-ATX motherboards. So size does matter.
Once you’ve made a decision on the size of the case you need, the features and options you want to look at are I/O ports, cooling capabilities, airflow and the design of the case. Design shouldn’t be the most important part of the process but equally you want it to look the part!
Ultimately, there is no point in spending loads of money on your valuable hardware if you don’t have a safe space to put it. So your horizontal PC case is an important purchase.
Featured Image: PcPer